Friday, March 2, 2007

Competition

Here is a list of competitors I'm looking up, first off...

Orion Nelson
http://orion-nelson.deviantart.com/


He reciently graduated from the Art Institute, Pensilvania. Lives in Statin Island NY. Strenghts: knows Flash, has range of animation in demo reel. Weaknesses: poor quality of animation, bad online portfolio, opening to his demo reel is too long. Opertunities, I out perform him in quality of work, appears not to be actively searching for work, and I have better traditonal animation training. Threats: he lives close to New York City, and already knows Flash.

Nicholas Butera
http://nickbutera.blogspot.com/


He is currently on his fourth year at CalArts. I believe he lives in LA. Strenghts: good 2D animator, good blog. Weakness: boring layouts, no finished work shown. Opertunity: He hasn't really started putting himself out there, I'm better at animating with full figures (his are more flat), and my timing is better. Threats: he goes to CalArts and has good animation, a head hunter will more likely pick him up before me.

Ian Worrel
http://ianworrel.blogspot.com/


He goes to CalArts. Lives at Valencia, CA. Strenghts: good traditonal animator, strong poses, expressive characters, good composition and layouts. Weakness: his characters are really flat and they mainly move pose to pose (this may not be a weakness but a style difference). Opertunity: I too like to animate flat characters but I do so in a way that gives the illusion of well-roundedness, and his style is far different from mine. Threats: Again, he is poised to be picked up by head hunters, his blog is also better then mine.

Ricky Ed Los Angeles
http://rickyanimation.zoomshare.com/


He goes to Calarts. I don't know, but I think he lives in Los Angeles. Strenght: Has his own website, good graphic design work. Weakness: his website is annoying to brows, very little animation shown. Opertunity, I'm a better draftsman, and illustrator then he is. Threats: he is activly putting his name out there despite lack of matterial.

David Chao
*none found*


Goes to Calarts, lives somewhere in California. Strenghts: excelent animator, great use of volume, great layouts, and anatomy. Weakness: lack of economic use of animation, no internet representation. Opertunity, I use a stronger use of pose to pose animation, I have a blog promoting myself already, and English is my first language. Threat: he's an awsome animator poised to get picked off by head hunters.

No comments: